This week we started to focus more on our data visualisation project, though we started to merge our findings on the site ‘Creative Spark’ to get our information ready for the report (I am focusing on Information Architecture and Interface structure in relation to the site, and have thankfully found a great deal of information on the topics).

Back on the data visualisation project, we started by trying to make sense of the information. The information given is on different Australian states and their recycling habits, and is presented in a table. We have lots of information to include, such as: state and national populations, waste generation per capita, recycling rate and the national average.

We continued to research different representations of data with particular attention to ones on the topic of recycling and environment. Most of them were either green or blue with a tree theme, but we decided that we wanted to do something completely different.

Initially we started experimenting with using batteries and different bottles to represent the data, but decided it may be too simple to use bottles and batteries would probably be too much of an abstract link to recyling to be properly understood. In images of waste, we often saw the shape of a fish skeleton like this to represent trash:Image

We started using each rib bone to represent a different state and/or set of data, and so far it seems to be working well in our initial sketches. Most of our fellow classmates seemed to understand the link to waste and recycling which was a good start. We’re going to make prototypes for next week to find out the best way of using the fish skeleton concept. Sketching the image out has been really good for problem-solving ways of fitting all the data into one image, for example we realised through sketching that our initial idea meant that we weren’t taking each states’ waste per capita into account when we graphed their rates of recycling.

Advertisements