This week I focused solely on ‘Ink Well’. I discovered a couple of problems with my previous ‘Ink Well’ logo to do with the fonts. Firstly, the font which I thought was ‘Pristina’ was actually called ‘French Script MT’, which cost me a bit of time when I needed to find the typeface in order to edit it. The second thing I discovered was that when I submitted the logo, the top line (‘Ink Well’) was in ‘Times New Roman’ and the bottom line (‘publishing’) was in ‘Georgia’. This may have caused problems for a client in the future if they needed to use the type for something else within the business and discovered they had two different fonts (Learn stage). It was also significant as a reminder for me to check things more carefully before submission (Learn stage).

Using the ‘French Script MT’ typeface I experimented with different arrangements of the letters ‘I’ and ‘P’ to integrate into a logo using the letter forms (Ideate stage). I then re-used the rounded rectangles to reference computer keys and placed some into the shape like these examples (Prototype stage):

Image

I also made some prototypes which I tried to add old-fashioned book spines to, but these had too much going on and would probably not work on a smaller level as shown (Prototype stage):

Image

I quite liked the joining of the ‘I’ and ‘P’ shown in the two on the right in the first image as they remind me of the ‘Steel Pen’ logo I liked much earlier, so I integrated these into a logo with the type ‘Georgia’ (Prototype stage). I prefer the top version as the bottom looks a bit stretched:

Image

This is with the words ‘Ink Well’ split into two words, I’d rather keep it like that though that implies that the ‘W’ should be added into the logo and I don’t want to do that. I have looked at it as one word but for some reason I still prefer reading it as two. I either need to merge the words into one or figure out another way to keep them apart.

Advertisements